St Croix River Road Ramblings

Welcome to River Road Ramblings.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Prednisone -- The Lyrics



To keep my myasthenia gravis under control, I take prednisone to keep my immune system running on low.  In autoimmune diseases, like MG, the immune system attacks one's own body.  Prednisone is the most common drug that works to lower the immune system activity.  It has many difficult side effects, but it does work! 
I am active on a myasthenia gravis discussion/support group at Myasthenia Gravis Discussion Group where I can talk to others with MG.  I have never met a real live person who has MG, as we are quite rare  -- about 1 in 5000 people, so this is our support group.  We sometimes try creative looks at our disease.   My latest contribution is a re-write of the lyrics for the 1973 Paul Simon song "Kodachrome".  
You first need to listen to Kodachrome first and get it back in your mind:   A fun video to the song can be watched at 
Link to Kodachrome Video    A video enthusiast has the sound track and snippets of 30s-80s dancing movies--quite well done.  A test is to identify each of the many segments. 
 After you have the tune and Simon lyrics well in mind, try my lyrics.  
Kodachrome by Paul Simon
When I think back
On all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder
I can think at all
And though my lack of education
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's
a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together
for one night
I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination
Everything looks worse
in black and white

Prednisone  by the Rambler (apologies to Paul Simon)
When I think back of all the crap I took for Gravis
It's a wonder I can breathe at all
But it’s the lack of medication that’s hurt me most of all
I can read the label on the bottle 

Prednisone
You give us those nice strong muscles
You give us the strength to swallow
Makes us think all the world’s a better day, oh yeah!
I got a prednisone bottle
I love the maximum dose
So Doctor, don’t take my prednisone away

If you took all the pills I took when I was testing
And brought them all together at one time 
I know they'd never match my sweet pills of prednisone
And everything looks good with eyes wide open

Prednisone
You give us those nice strong muscles
You give us the strength to swallow
Makes us think all the world’s a better day, oh yeah!
I got a prednisone bottle
I love the maximum dose 
So Doctor, don’t take my prednisone away

Doctor, don't take my prednisone away 
Doctor, don't take my prednisone
Doctor, don't take my prednisone 
Doctor, don't take my prednisone away   etc