St Croix River Road Ramblings

Welcome to River Road Ramblings.

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

   2020 was a year of potatoes here on the Farm.  With the Covid-19 pandemic threatening the food supplies this spring, we decided to garden more seriously this year and freeze and can more of our own produce.  
   And so I took over one whole garden plot for potatoes.  Many years ago I bought some Yukon Gold (I think) potato pieces from the store to start growing them.  Probably close to 15 years ago.  And I save some each year to replant.  
  Last year I saved all of the small ones out separately to see if I could use them for seed this spring.  Unlike most folks who save seed from the best of the plants, mine were any small potatoes. 
  And so I had about 50 still OK this spring.  I planted about 30 hills and most of them grew.   From planting to digging I documented this and stuck the videos on my youtube channel.  
  This week I harvested them, digging up probably 200 lbs of potatoes, enough to far more than supply the winter's need. 
  The story of 2020 potatoes was on my Facebook page too.  
  
  This link is a search of my youtube channel for potato videos.  More than I remember!
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RiverRoadRambler+potatoes