St Croix River Road Ramblings

Welcome to River Road Ramblings.

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Facebook Posts

I do a daily post on Facebook--sort of a memory diary so I will know what it is that is happening and what I am thinking.  Have been doing it for many years.  Here is the example for September 12, 2019.  It usually has photos from the Farm, but this time of year I am up ahead of the sun and so have to use photos from the previous day.  
***
East wind, drizzle, about 1/2 inch yesterday pushing us to about 8/10 over the two days here on the Farm. Still a stiff east wind and general rain predicted all day through midnight in Cushing.
Trying to catch up with paper work -- 3 more Sterling record books to scan before the Monday night town meeting where I bring in the finished ones and pick up 20 more. I am doing 1930s and 40s this month. It goes fast when I get at it-- rainy days. Wet days, for me, are inside projects, and lately those have been on the computer.
Typed up 2 sets of meeting minutes -- the Northwest Wisconsin Museum Consortium meeting on the 10th and last month's Northwest Wisconsin Regional Writer's group.  One was fresh in my mind and the other from notes written a month earlier.  I learned that I had better do the typed up notes sooner rather than later.  I have tried to do the notes on my laptop as the meeting progresses, but that seems to take me out of the conversation rather than being a participant, and also is a little distracting to the others as my keying is a little noisy.  I need to cultivate a softer touch.  Those of us who began our typing career on old manual typewriters have developed firm keystroking fingers.
Margo's 2011 laptop quit working last month, and she uses it as her window on the world, so she got a new one, much lighter to handle. It seemed as the old one no longer would charge the battery nor run even when plugged in. . So I bought a junk laptop of the same brand off of Ebay for $12 that seems to at least charge the battery, charged Margo's and put it in and sure enough it works. The connector was OK, so it appears the charging circuitry on the motherboard is shot. I told her to return her new computer and just carry around her old computer and the other old computer for battery charging, but she seemed reluctant (to say the least), so I have another somewhat usable old machine to hookup to a scanner unless I take the two apart and swap parts to make one good one.
The curse of being somewhat handy on fixing things is you really can't ever throw away anything as you might be able to fix it, given a few more parts and a little time. With ebay, the parts are probably available as other people who can't throw away things sell them.

A new project -- A slice of the old cemetery white pine blown over in the storm made into a stool (for display only) with the top smoothed and the growth rings showing a timeline from birth to death (75 years) and an event line. Have to figure out how to drill angled leg holes -- or .
maybe some kind of bracket. Then put one in the Cushing museum and one in the chapel in the cemetery.
The other project is removing the old storm damaged pipe fence from 100 years ago and replacing it with new pipes.  I have several hundred feet of water well pipe at the MN place from twice pulling a 200 foot well and replacing the pipes.  So the materials are available.  The old fence has smaller rail pipes and larger upright post pipes with holes in them to feed the rails.  Far too much work and I don't have smaller pipe, so will bolt the rails to the posts.  I offered to do it for free, so after some cleanup of the fenceline  will try to get the upright posts in before frost.  
The 75 year old white pine has been removed but lots of small branches to clean up and some trimming along the fence before the new fence goes in.