St Croix River Road Ramblings

Welcome to River Road Ramblings.

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Scanning Old Photographs Rapidly with Epson WF 7620

Epson WF 7610, 7620, 7710, 7720 -- How to scan a stack of photos
This is an educational post -- and one that will refresh my memory of the process next time I need to do it. 
   Moving from our Minnesota to Wisconsin has been interesting as I look in boxes stored away.  Some of the boxes are filled with old photographs -- from my parents and from our own, and I have hundreds of these I want to scan and have in digital format. 
   I hoped that my Epson Work Force 7620 would scan these in stacks.  It has a stack feeder called the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF)  that does double sided scans of various size papers and works good for regular paper scans.  
  The ADF smallest size says A5 (5.8x8.3 inches).  I tried a stack of 15 glossy photos 6x8 and they fed fine, didn't damage or bend the photo.  However most of my photos were 4x6.  To get them to feed they have to go portrait feed, but the two guides won't slide close enough together to hold the photos straight.  
   Looking around, I found two empty cassette tape holders and using a little Scotch tape, mounted them inside the guides.  That held the photos in place and they too scanned without problems.  I didn't try double sided as the photos were one sided and didn't want to fuss with testing that out. 
   Smaller photos didn't work -- they fed in but stopped part way through.  
   Also, as I was using the printer/scanner as a stand-alone machine, my choice for scan size smallest was A4 so had some white space to crop later and also had to rotate them later too.  Not a problem with microsoft office picture manager that came with my MS 2010 program.  Can batch crop and batch rotate and batch autofix.  
   I think I might be able to have more control over scan image size and rotation if I used my pc to control the scanner, but I don't do that much, just scan to memory device.