St Croix River Road Ramblings

Welcome to River Road Ramblings.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Stokely Bean Picking

Brother Ev and I were looking through some of the old color slides from the upstairs.  Sadly, some of them are rather badly molded.  I scanned a few to see what they looked like--and although the mold is annoying, the pictures are still interesting.   

Ev, I, Dad and Uncle Lloyd all worked at one time or another on the Chisolm Ryder Bean Picker's for Stokely's out of Frederic.  Here are a few slides taken in the late 1960s.  The splotches are mold.  I think the only way to stop it once it has started is to put the slides in a plastic zip-lock bag with some dessicant packs and freeze them.   My strategy is to scan them and get what I can.  The mold actually lives in the emulsion, eating it and if cleaned off, leaves clear spots.