St Croix River Road Ramblings

Welcome to River Road Ramblings.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Oxycodone High


One of the medications of choice for folks with pain, like me with my knee, is oxycodone (Oxycontin is the time-release version-a 12 hour buzz in a single pill).

I almost immediately lost the bottle I brought home by accidentally brushing it into my waste basket and sending it off with the garbage. However, I had 20 tablets left from my December earlier knee surgery, so could use them if necessary. Alternatively, I had Tramadol and Tylenol, as I had said I preferred not to use the oxycodone unless it was really necessary (which in the hospital, at times had been).

Oxycodone is a drug that people steal to sell on the illegal market. It is quite interesting--it kills the pain wonderfully and adds euphoria and loquaciousness to those of us who otherwise are remarkably dull. The drugees want it for the euphoria.

I have to be careful when I take it as I might just burst out into singing "Zippity Do Dah... What a wonderful day." I am not kidding here, I actually posted that on facebook yesterday after a two pill dose in the morning, while sending lengthy optimistic cheerful emails to a bunch of my friends.

I don't like it for that reason so am sticking to the alternatives except
when the pain gets really bad--then I turn off the phone, disconnect from the internet and strap myself to the bed and let the bliss flow over me for the next 4 hours.

I have 15 pills left; trying to hoard them for really bad pain, or when Margo returns from helping her Dad and gives me a hard time for not following my knee therapy (bend it back and straighten it until you yell at 80 decibels).

Written while not on Oxycodone